Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Forever Phillips

I was involved with the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society’s Scholastic Disc Golf Championship at Phillips Park (a long title, I know) this passed Saturday.

I hoped to show up at 8:00 AM, but arrived close to 8:30 which led me to wonder if I had the right park. I expected to come in the middle of the madness with middle school and high school kids registering and tossing money all around. Instead, I arrived to a wide open case of beer and dozens of empty cans littering a park bench and surrounding area. Same old park.

I’ve been a lifetime member of the PFDS for nearly three months now and this was my first official “duty” as a member. I somehow convinced my friend (and fellow disc golfer), Pete, to join the club as well and dragged him along for the event.

Pete and I used to frequent the park in our own high school days. Twice a week, under the supervision of one of our teachers, we and our friends would meet in the park for a round or two of disc golf. Once a year, we participated in a city-wide championship where we played against the best high school players the city had to offer. (Attendance for these championships ranged from 20 to four.)

Now I’m on the other end. I’ve become “the teacher” to middle school and high school kids – but do I have the credentials to mentor young lads? I’ve played disc golf off and on for nearly ten years, so I don’t consider myself knowledgeable in “the way of the disc.”

But I surprised myself during the “putting clinic” in between the rounds. At this clinic, I was to give tips to the potential “protégés” in an effort to enhance their putts and approach shots – and that’s just what I did! All of the sudden, I felt like a pro with a vault of information.

“When you practice putting, practice with the same disc you would use on the course. Don’t use a driver.”

Statements like this poured out of me while the kiddos hung on to every word. I was like their Disc Golf Deity!

I enjoyed the time I spent as “the cool teacher” (although no one actually described me as such) and look forward to my next event as a PFDS member.

No comments: