Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Penguin Next Door

On a recent evening, while the city stared at televisions broadcasting the Penguins game, I sat around my house enjoying the eerie quiet in the neighborhood. (Who am I kidding – it’s always quiet around here!)

Just when I thought everyone was preoccupied, my doorbell rang. What the hell?!

I opened the front door to find two little boys. The kid who rang the doorbell had painted his face black and gold for the occasion while his friend (or brother) sat inside of a red wagon.

“Is Marc here?” the kid asked.
“No,” I said. “Marc doesn’t live here.”
“Where is he?” the kid pressed on.
“I don’t know. I have no idea. I don’t know Marc,” I finally said. “Sorry.”

I watched the boys leave in disappointment – the painted kid dragging the wagon containing the other kid. It was cute in a Norman Rockwell kind of way.

I later learned that the boys were looking for Marc Fleury, the Penguins’ goalie. It turns out he’s a neighbor in the hood! Hell, even if I saw him, I wouldn’t recognize him. I could have gone swimming with him in the pool – who really knows?!

Time to get autographs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.