Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Sister Lives Online

It seems as though I can no longer contact my sister… unless I sit in front of the computer all day. I try to call just to talk and catch up, but she never answers her phone and rarely returns my messages. I’ve been trying to call for three weeks now with no success. It looks like the only way I’m going to hear from her is if I get one of those all-inclusive mobile devices that cost over a hundred dollars to operate each month.

But this behavior is apparently becoming more the norm. You may experience this yourself when someone on your “friends list” lets you know that there are just way too many blankets filling his or her closet. Or perhaps YOU are the one filling the “walls” with such worthless jabber. Why do we need to know these things?

I’m trying very hard not to simply whine about the lack of communication skills in our society, but I just have to say that if you’re going to write little notes about everything you do and what you’re thinking, then please do so coherently. Please check your spelling. Please check your tenses. Please know the elements of a complete sentence. Without them, you come off as uneducated and, in my opinion, a waste of potential intellect.

Call me old school, but I think friends and nuclear family members should talk on the phone and not wait around for the latest update. Where has the etiquette gone?

And I’m well aware that I’m sharing this information online. Well, it’s just about the only way I have a chance of being “heard” today.

2 comments:

Joshua Penn said...

Or maybe your sister is just very busy. Take my fiancee, for example. Right now she's really busy trying to plan our wedding, find a job, balance bills, clean up the apartment, etc; and, to top it all off, now her dog is very sick. She doesn't always have time to sit and chat on the phone. Sometimes she'll have her Facebook page open all day, but she might be doing other stuff online, or she'll keep it up and bounce back and forth between the computer, wedding books, cleaning, cooking, and other stuff.

Also, if you're paying over one hundred dollars a month for your mobile smart device, you should switch to Sprint. For $69.99 a month you get unlimited internet, unlimited texting, and unlimited calling to any mobile network in America, all on the Sprint PCS and Verizon network. AT&T and Verizon charge that much just for unlimited talking.

Family etiquette is not dead. It is just a two way street that needs to adapt with modern times. I bet if you were writing this in the 1900's, you would be complaining that you have to use this new-fangled telephone contraption to call your sister because she didn't send you letters via the Pony Express. Or even worse, it's the 1880's and she's sending you a telegram.

So, if I get your point correctly, you say she should not communicate to you by printed words, but by spoken words. However, the written or printed word has always been the convention, and even with technology, will continue to be the convention. The fact is, whether it is written on paper with a pen, or typed by the keys on a computer keyboard is negligible.

Anonymous said...

written words have no emotion..