Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Myron Cope

I was saddened to learn that Myron Cope, broadcaster/writer, passed away early this morning. I admired him as a writer and performer.

Call me egotistical, but there were quite a few similarities between Mr. Cope and myself. We graduated from The University of Pittsburgh, yearning to become writers (and having a difficult time selling our work). He was famous for his eccentric personality and I’m…well… infamous for mine!

I had the honor of meeting Myron at The University of Pittsburgh’s Bookstore at a book signing of his memoir Double Yoi!. I waited in line for the longest time but I didn’t care (and I absolutely hate lines). When I was the fourth person in line, I could hear Myron asking those ahead of me if they were Steeler fans. I began to think, “Oh great, he’s going to write something about the Steelers in my book.”

When it was my turn to share a moment with Myron, I was surprised that he did not mention anything about the Steelers! It was as if he knew I was there solely for the admiration of his career – of someone who took their writing skills to the next level and beyond. Without saying much of anything, Myron wrote on the inside of my book:

To Jon –

Thanks for wanting to share my experiences. I hope you enjoy these pages.

Myron Cope


He was a truly unique man, which made for an awesome broadcaster, writer and entertainer.

Thanks, Myron, for your inspiration.

No comments: