Sunday, May 20, 2012

Parking Island in the Sun

My wife and I don’t get to visit too many restaurants these days (which is good for our wallets as well as our waistlines), but once in a while, someone will volunteer to watch Chloe and give us a night to ourselves. We’ve only had a handful of nights out since late August of 2011, so when we get a chance to party it up, we do it well. We’ll both order an adult beverage and maybe share a dessert. We’ll take a walk and just enjoy some alone time without worrying about binkies, diapers and puréed peas.

We had such a night on Saturday, May 19. After seeing the Blue Man Group, we drove out to the Robinson area for a feast at Bahama Breeze, one of our favorite places. Now, if you’re anticipating a negative review here, I am sorry to disappoint you. In fact, the food was great… maybe even too great. I just wanted to eat and drink all that I could. Perhaps it was my body saying, “Dude, seriously, how often does this happen? Live it up! Eat! Drink! Cram all you can into this dinner!”

And so I listened to my inner glutton and stuffed my face with whatever was in front of me (including some of my wife’s dinner). I had a few plantains smothered with chicken, cheese and peppers. I downed two Blue Moons (the big ones). I shoved what seemed like pounds of bowtie pasta and salmon and bread and more fish and key lime pie into my face. About halfway through it all, my stomach had expanded so far that my belt began digging into my gut and limiting my intake. But when there’s no belt, there’s no problem (if you know what I mean).

But even with the belt gone, I was in trouble. It soon occurred to me that my body was no longer accustomed to restaurant food and so the oils and sauces from my meal were creating a sort of poison that overtook my body.

When it came time to leave, I told Laura that I would meet her outside. I had to freshen up. So I went to the restroom, looked in the mirror and saw my Dad:  a tired, waddling man with a fat gut. “Who am I?” I wondered.

I left the bathroom and then the restaurant. And that’s when it hit me. The heat was so intense that the oils and sauces inside of me started to boil. And on top of it all, Laura was pulling up to the curb and it was time to take a car ride.

“I don’t feel so good.” I told her.
“You shouldn’t have eaten so much.”
“Uhhh.”
“You have to put on your seatbelt.”

We drove maybe 100 feet.

“I don’t know if I can do this,” I said.
“Want to go on the roller coaster?” she asked. (She is mean.)
“No. Don’t do it, Laura.”

We were on our way to meet her family who happened to also be in Robinson, but about five shopping plazas away. I really felt like I was going to puke. My breathing turned into subtle wheezing as I attempted a whole “mind over matter” thing. Once we reached the other side of Robinson, I told Laura to stop the car because I just couldn’t take it anymore.

“I just can’t stop in the middle of the road,” she said.
“We’re in a parking lot. Just park the car!”
“Where?”
“In one of the 200 empty spaces surrounding us!”

Finally, she parked the car and I grabbed my phone and got out. She drove off in search of her family while I took the nearest seat – a curb along a parking island in the sun (not at all related to Weezer). But, of course, the sun was intensifying the bubbling sauces churning within my stomach. I noticed more shade on the other side of the curb, but to walk around the island would surely do me in. So I simply walked through the bushes that made up the perimeter of the island.

Turned out there was an oasis in the middle of the parking island complete with two benches, some garbage cans and a ground full of mulch… it was truly a parking lot paradise. I took a seat on the nearest bench and tried to just calm down and gather myself. I didn’t want to puke in the mulch, but the smell wafting over from Five Guys took the situation into the red zone.

I had just about enough of the general discomfort, so I turned to my left and yakked up some dinner right there on the mulch. I didn’t even have the decency to waddle over to the trash can.

This experience was significant for two reasons:
1) I hit a new low. This was the first time I ever threw up from overeating.
2) I just can’t party like I used to.

I’m a Dad, and I should learn my limits so that I’m able to enjoy these rare nights out with my wife instead of throwing up alone in a parking lot outside of Wal*Mart.

No comments: